POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Re: Animated paperplane v0.1 - paperplane2.avi (1/1) : Re: Animated paperplane v0.1 -- 3 attachments (65KBU) Server Time
20 Jul 2024 15:26:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Animated paperplane v0.1 -- 3 attachments (65KBU)
From: Remco de Korte
Date: 27 Feb 2001 18:09:23
Message: <3A9C3389.D6DF4BE7@xs4all.nl>
Nikodemus Siivola wrote:

> Remco de Korte <rem### [at] xs4allnl> wrote in <3A9AFF6D.BC7DD671@xs4all.nl>:
>
> >I did a similar thing some time ago.
> >I've attached some small examples.
>
> >If the codec is a problem I could
> >post the larger (file) versions .
>
> Dunno if it is the codec or my computer, but unfortunately I was unable to
> view these...

I have already posted an mpeg version.
I didn't really remember what codec I used.
I created the AVI with Fast Movie Processor
and I just found it also supports the (a?)
MPEG4-codec. It could just be I used this,
but FMP gave the file an AVI extension just
as well. Perhaps you can view the files if
you change the extension?

> >Since I needed to have images on both
> >sides I couldn't use a mesh (or at
>
> I think that with MegaPOV you could, since all the triangles should have a
> normal vector - and therefore you could use the inside texture thingie. I
> think. Haven't tried.

Me neither. At the time I made this I didn't
have MegaPov yet.

> Actually, it could possibly be done with meshes even in normal POV-Ray, but
> it would have been a bit messy: You can apply textures to individual
> triangles, just make a "hollow" paper, where the top and bottom surfaces
> meet only at folding points, and are something like 0.000001 apart at
> maximum.

The problem with this approach is that you can
have folds crossing each other so it would be
rather difficult to calculate the triangles
(at least to me).

> >thin box with imagemaps, cutting and
> >folding. This is a recursive process
> >(isn't it?) and it took ages to render.
>
> Darn I hope I could see this. Before I decided to go the mesh-route I was
> considering something similar, along with a plenty of other options. How
> did you handle the points where the paper is folded several times over the
> same spot?

That's the problem. What I did was a more or
less recursive process. You start out with a
thin box, cut it in half and fold them on top.
Then you take this result, cut it in two parts
and fold those together, etc. Obviously with
only a few folds this will result in a whole
clutter of CSG for POV-Ray to wade through.

Anyway, I did get the imagemaps right and that
was the whole point.

There is something else, which I saw you also
handled really well: the thickness of the
paper and the room between folds. I don't know
how you did it but it took me quite some
trial and error to get it right.

> Yours,
>
>   -- Nikodemus

Kind regards,